Friday, May 25, 2018

Lessons in the Mountains...

Before Joey and Jen got married, they came on a trip with me to the mountains in Poland. Nothing prepares you better for marriage than near-death experiences in mountains where you really have to trust and work together. ... 



The majestic background...



Our trip was full of lessons on risk, trust, crucified joy (the strength that came in laughter)... 

The first night I offered a great hotel (Joey is thinking, 'Are you kidding me, Mary? We are going to spend the night HERE? Okay!' :) They were awesome sports!) Outside the train station:


Trust, trust, trust and don't look down 
(unless you want a really cool picture).


What is not seen in this picture is that this 45 degree angle is SOLID ICE from freezing rain (below-first). If we fell we would end up where the second picture is (below-second). If we slipped we would end up pretty much at the bottom of the one slope and a huge drop into a rocky, frozen river. Father gave us all absolution -said he would lead and I would go last to make sure everyone made it... ummm.... it was smart because I had experience, but it also meant that the snow freezing harder every minute was almost impenetrable by my fingers by the time it came my turn to cross (you had to turn, face the slope and dig your hands into the snow to hold on to climb out.)



The next mountain was not much better... ice skating is easier than this (hands up, Miss Mary!):


We made it and I got great pictures with my bro Joe:


Jen thinking, "Thanks for the marriage prep, Mary."



The next mountain -this one not so slippery, but still dangerous:



And the rest... (it was a group of seminarians and us)...


This picture reminds me of a "Lord of the Rings" picture... my favorite spot in the Tatri Mountains -you have no idea what I would give to climb them again...


Just train station moments... these guys were fun. I wonder how little Miss Lucy and Stella would do... maybe in 10 years we can repeat... at this point those two little girls were only twinkles in Joey and Jen's eyes...

 

I randomly found these pictures the other day and just had to share... 
                                                                             ...feels like we never age.
 If anyone wants to repeat, let me know and I'd be happy to be your guide!
I hoped to have World Youth Day in Poland and help take our Diocese kids there, but when the WYD happened, somehow I didn't make it on the list... 
Anyone?? Doesn't this look fun?
Consider this an invitation.
I wait in Fiat. +

No comments: