Thursday, June 1, 2017

originally WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 11, 2006

God speaks through children

I was reminded once again this week how profoundly God loves to speak to us through simple, ordinary means -often through the mouths and acts of His littlest ones. So often in today's spiritual world people look for radical manifestations of God -when truly He most often speaks to us through the ordinary. One example of this happened to me this past week. I was doing my little St. Teresa novena for a particular intention -hoping, yet not holding my breath, for the answer of a rose (I usually don't get the roses like others do). Well, sure enough, by the last day of the novena I was still empty handed in regards to the roses. But at the same time as I accepted this disappointment, God showed me something much more beautiful. He actually had answered my prayer and 'sent me a rose' -but in a deeper way.

During my novena I had received two beautifully colored pictures from two of my nieces. To others, they may have seemed simply as pictures that these children randomly decided to draw for me. Yet I realized that God Himself must have ignited their hearts to color these for "Aunt Mary". Both had been so excited to give me them, yet also had done so 'for no reason' at all. And I realized that these two pictures were my 'roses.' In the first, Mary Clare Swick drew me a Cross, reminding me of my true vocation to simply be faithful to the Cross (and not to seek for flowers). Claire Kloska drew me a picture of the Blessed Mother by the Cross -yet there were two interesting things about this picture: 1.) The Blessed Mother is so happy, simply with her arms open accepting God's will in 'fiat' (as I should be). 2.) Claire drew a flower for me, but actually only drew the stem. The only 'flower' in that picture was the Cross... God's answer to my novena prayer. I only share this with you because I think it is a beautiful reminder to all of us -that sometimes God answers our prayers in very unexpected ways. Often He speaks to me through children. So pay attention to these 'littlest ones' -the answer you may be looking for might just be hidden in their drawings or comments on life.

No comments: