Sunday, June 11, 2017

originally TUESDAY, JULY 10, 2007

Aunt Mary Reality Check

This post is for all the young people (aka -young teenagers and 20-somethings) who read the blog. This is not necessarily only for my older neices and nephews, but for any young person who finds themselves here (I know of a few who visit this blog). If you are an adult, you can pass this over after pointing it out to your son/daughter.
I know most of you just like to look at pictures here, and actually reading what is written is considered too much work, but I'm hoping you will make what I write today an exception since it is written specifically for YOU.

First of all, I want to remind you all that although I'm a missionary, I'm actually cool - Why am I cool? Well, I'm cool because I climb mountains, I walked through snake and alligator infested marshes in Africa AT NIGHT and because I've ridden in the backseat of a nice, white Mercedes driven by 3 or 4 members of the mafia in Russia and actually enjoyed a conversation about God with them. I've met Hollywood movie stars, lived in a cave in the middle of the desert for 3 months and walked through the streets of Harlem at night. I just want to remind you, that although I may be a bit of a dork, I've been around the block a few times, and so you can't say I don't know anything about 'real life'. I'm a really cool dork. So you really should listen to me.

So, why am I writing you here on the blog? I just want to give you a reality check. American culture lies to you guys about everything, and I just want to make sure you remember a few important truths:

1.) Violence is not funny. Songs about violence are not funny. Movies about violence are not funny. Other people's pain is not funny. If you use such things to make you laugh, there is something sick and wrong with you. If you don't believe me, I'll take you to a war-torn country with me and leave you there alone to experience why violence and pain is not funny. I've picked up bloody people on the street and I've had to calm the look of horror in the eyes of children who have witnessed or experienced what you think is funny. Blood, murder, revenge and hatred are not funny. Don't joke about such things -either in your conversations on MySpace and FaceBook or by the movies you watch or the music you listen to.

2.) Sex is not funny and it is not something that should be taken casually. 'Playing around' or performing sexual acts (or things that should only be enjoyed in marriage) is not cool. It actually destroys you. It destroys how you think, how you speak, how you treat people. It destroys your body and emotions. Your jokes or actions or conversations today destroy the person who will be your greatest treasure tomorrow (your future wife or husband). Sex is really beautiful -don't destroy it. You'd never water a plant with a $1000 bottle of wine. Don't waste the gift of your body and soul on people who really don't care about you (and just want to use you for pleasure.)

3.) Its actually NOT COOL to cuss or say bad words. It does not make you more intelligent or attractive. It makes you ugly. If you want to expand your vocabulary -learn another language. French, Italian and Hungarian are all beautiful languages which will enchant all those who hear you speak them. And if you want something more wild and crazy, learn Igbo, Hausa or Yoruba -or any of the other tribal African languages.

4.) Getting drunk is not cool. It destroys you. I've seen the most beautiful people turn into wild animals who can't control themselves when they are drunk. I've stepped over COUNTLESS bodies of people who DIED from accidentally drinking too much. I've cleaned their wounds. Plus, getting drunk and driving (or speeding recklessly) is a MORTAL sin (you can look it up in the Catechism #2290 if you don't believe me). Getting drunk and then receiving Communion is like mocking the blood of Jesus.

5.) Smoking and dipping are not cool. Think of Uncle Bobby -he's got cancer and he's never had a cigarette in his life. He's never chewed either. Do you really WANT to suffer as he is now because you gave yourself cancer? Its medically proven that such things give you cancer. But, if you get cancer, it might be good because the suffering would teach you why what I wrote in numbers 1-5 are correct -and cancer could save your soul.

6.) Oh... and #6 -PLEASE do NOT play around with anything that even could remotely be evil (don't even read horoscopes). This includes music that is evil, movies that are evil, games that are evil (including video games) or websites that are evil. You aren't strong enough to fight the power in such things and satan doesn't care if you are 'playing around' or 'serious' -he'll use any in he can to snag your soul. I've had to accompany a few young people to priests for deliverance or exorcisms because they 'played around' with evil things.

Remember that when you die you are going to stand before GOD and go through EVERY moment of your life, every word you spoke, every website you visited, everything you did or thought. Remember this: death is pretty close. You could get cancer tomorrow or die in a car crash. Live remembering that life is not a joke, and you will have to answer to God for it. With every moment you live right now, you are choosing where you will spend eternity.Please look at your and your friends' music, video games and 'MySpace and FaceBook pages' and correct them accordingly.

I
 love you guys and I'm not saying you are doing these things, I'm just saying I know what the world is telling you about them. And the 'world' you live in is a bunch of liars.

What I have written here is the Truth. I just want to remind you of it LOUD and CLEAR! I pray and suffer for you -and I truly LOVE you.

No comments: