Thursday, June 8, 2017

originally TUESDAY, JULY 27, 2010


Here's an example of God working simply and humbly: Monica's Act of Mercy -and a Lesson for Life


Bobby and Margy's kids are staying with us this week (during their 'surprise' visit to Malibu). I had to go drop off some things to Josephine this evening before I hit the Spanish Mass at St. Vincent's. I invited any of the kids who wanted to do an act of mercy (and to experience a little of Mexico -with the lively music, etc. at the Mass) to join me. But I insisted that they be left free to choose whether they wanted to come or not -for any act of mercy and love must be free to 'count' in heaven. I also did not tell them about the ice cream I was planning to buy Josephine on the way -for I did not want selfish motives to cloud their reason for coming. In the end, Monica courageously said, "Aunt Mary, I really think I should come with you." Both I and Josephine were really thankful. Josephine cried and must have said 10 times how grateful she was for the gift of seeing such a beautiful child because (she said), 'You know, most of my family and all of my friends are de-ceased.' The greatest lesson for me in all of that was a comment Monica made to me as we drove towards the south side of Elkhart. 'Aunt Mary,' she said, 'You know, I think I made the right decision in coming with you. I think that when I die and see a movie of my whole life that this will be one of those moments I will be very happy to see that I choose what I did.'

Amazing.
The wisdom of a child.

How many of us make decisions in life based on what it will be like to see those moments re-played to us under the loving gaze of God after we die? If only we adults made our choices based on such a deep thought.
(Note that Josephine still wears daily the rosary that Dad gave her 15 or 20 years ago.)

No comments: