Saturday, April 15, 2017

A Holy Saturday Lament with Mary…

Oh sweet Mother Mary,
Your heart is like a tomb…
For your Love, your Life has been crucified!
Death –His Death on the Cross –seems to consume all space and time.
The Spirit making you one –Who enfleshed within your womb
–gave human life to the very Word of God –
seems to be buried in the tomb of silence this long day.


Cold body –frozen in death.
All life poured out by the lance in His side.
Emptiness –numbness –silence
What would you give, dear Mother –your very life and heart –to hear His breath on Calvary once more?…
Altar and victim consumed in the flames of love
–and all that is left on earth is the ashen flesh of your heart awaiting….

Yes, waiting alone –enduring deeper than even Golgotha’s pain
–where union with your Son gave beat to your bleeding heart…
Waiting alone speaks … lives… hopes…

Mary, let me wait with you –for nothing but the life of your Son
…could give breath to my suffocating prayer this day…
Mary, let me wait in you
-in hope –without His fire
-in faith –without His light
-in love –without the warmth of His presence

Only in you –from whom His flesh came forth
–can I find a seed of meaning for existing today…
Heaven seemed to die this day…
For Jesus –our only path to the Father –has died! Has died!

And left only the silent, still, empty, dark, cold Heart pierced by our sin
–locked in a tomb –and guarded from our kisses by suspicion….

Oh never would that Eucharistic gift mean more than on this day –when Love and Life is buried away in a tomb in wait…
            Oh Love –locked in the tabernacle of the Father’s will in wait… hear and answer my longing heart for Your return in glory!!

The only memory of His goodness is His death –death on the Cross
Which spoke final words of forgiveness and ultimate surrender.

Oh Mary, pray with me, in me, for me… teach me the art of waiting in hope this day.
For my breath expired yesterday at 3:00 and my heart has no tears left to weep…
My prayer is numb, empty silence.



Silence –holding hope –make my heart reflect your Own, dear Mother
-for you remember the Father’s promise –speak to my darkened memory –prepare and cleanse me for the gift of His redeeming Love resurrected tomorrow.
What a long, crushing night this Holy Saturday weighs –heavy in my soul!…

Yes, tomorrow –the Easter shadows peeking through the wilted flowers on Calvary –soaked by His blood –will overcome the darkness, the silence of this empty day of death.
                        But how shall I endure the silent wait today?

Sweet Mary, pray for me… teach me to wait in silence full of hope.

Holy Saturday –a day without light –a life without breath –a prayer empty of meaning as the soul of my Beloved has gone from earth!
Three days in a tomb –three hours on a cross –one suffering between the Mother’s Heart and Yours –sweet Jesus –to whence have you gone?
Heaven speaks not of your resurrection yet on this day following death –and yet earth sees your breath no more….

“Pray and wait… hope and believe… and love in the silence enduring…”


Those were Your instructions for this heaviest of days lived in union with Your Mother’s lonely, abandoned heart of fiat.

Today I have no blood to offer prayer –no pain, for stillness consumes all.
Beat, my heart! Believe, my hope! Beat on in hope, my faith! Love enduring unto –and through this night of awful death.
Mary, hold me and let not my heart’s life stop beating…
His Love enflames my love and yet it seems to have died.

From the grave He speaks in the echo of Psalms:
“I waited, waited for the Lord;
who bent down and heard My cry.
Drew Me out of the pit of destruction
Out of the mud of (man’s sin) –of the swamp
Set my feet upon rock, steadied my (newly born, resurrected) steps.
And put a new song in My mouth
A hymn to our God
Many shall look on in awe
And they shall trust in the Lord.”

My heart trembles as it waits for the earthquake of tomorrow morning’s resurrection song!
Holy Spirit –hide no more –come and pray within me in my wait with the Mother.
-We put our hope in You…

Sweet Jesus, locked in the Garden –please rise and call my name!
“Fiat! Fiat! Fiat!” –somehow my heart beats tucked between the Mother’s and Yours…
Father, have mercy on your child today and answer my prayer…

                                                                                                Amen. +

No comments: