Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Praying Positively and the Power of Authentic Love


Most people know that speaking positive words spreads a power of positivity over people and that speaking negative words often spreads negativity. There is a time where people suffering need to speak of that suffering, but it should only be to trustworthy individuals who, while listening to the Holy Spirit, are able to shed a hopeful or Godly light on the situation (even if not directly speaking about God). Fr. Flanagan, the founder of SOLT, used to tell us that we should always be listening to people with one ear attuned to their words while another ear attuned to the Holy Spirit. But this has to be done not in a spirit of ignoring, but a spirit of love -of sort of listening so attentively to another with the Holy Spirit that the person goes away feeling listened to, understood and loved. Even if you didn't understand their entire predicament from their explanation, the Holy Spirit who you invited to be part of that conversation should have come like He promised to do when we call on Him and shared His spirit of understanding between the two conversing souls.


This morning someone asked me a question and pushed me for an answer -as I tried to explain myself they started a conversation with someone in the other room who responded as a sign that both really didn't care about me or what I felt or was saying. Frustrating was that they asked me the question and pushed for the answer... they simply never intended to get one, let alone one that wasn't what they were thinking. After yelling a new conversation to the next-door room didn't work, they simply started praying Hail Mary's outloud so as to say, "I never wanted an answer." Yes, sometimes praying 'Hail Mary's' is actually mean. I wasn't saying anything offensive -in fact, they asked a question that had to do with where I painted and to my and their chagrin, I really had an answer and it had to do with phenomenology and it made them mad. I don't know how to explain how poorly it makes another feel to not be loved in a conversation. In this situation, it felt like there was nothing present in the conversation except someone's selfish desire to prove me wrong. But relationships don't work like that. Real relationships have to be based on Love. And so, real conversations have to be based on Love -and be an exchange of Love. I speak to and/or listen to you seriously because it is the most loving thing to do in that moment... because it helps both you and me grow closer to God and His original plan for our lives (even if we never mention His Name). I see someone crying or doing something I don't understand and I ask them about it because I truly seek their good -even if it means a sacrifice of my time or an answer I don't like. I don't talk to someone so that I can gossip about the conversation later (I purposely did not put names or details in the example above) or so that I can plot about how to get a foot up on them later. I don't talk to someone so that I feel good or smart or helpful -but because truly its the sacrificial loving thing to do and it actually is helpful. If it is not helpful, I avoid it so that there is room for God or another person who might be more gifted in that relationship to enter in... That is love. Seeking the good of the beloved. That is being positive.


Anyway, this situation was the springboard of my blog post this morning. Because speaking truth (which in its essence is loving -not facts, but truth like Jesus is Truth) should always give life. Words in conversations should be positive and full of humility (which is truth -humility is simply the truth of who we are and the truth of who God is). And thinking about all of this this morning, I once again began to see how these things flow over into our prayer as well. If this is all true when it comes to people conversations, how much more true is it in my God conversation of prayer. We need the positive Holy Spirit in prayer.


I can go to Jesus and be negative -He takes it in and offers grace to be positive. I can only receive that grace if my heart is actually open in humility and a desire to change. But I see that prayer is even more powerful when it is prayed positively. There is an Orthodox book that I love called "Our Thoughts determine Our Lives..." It speaks of something similar that by thinking and praying positively we can change the spirit around us. I think its just a means of opening my heart more fully to the Holy Spirit (Who is quintessential positivity) -as a religious sister friend of mine used to say, 'Giving our hearts as a resting place for the Holy Spirit.' Jesus Himself encouraged positive prayer. He affirmed those who were thankful in prayer, who praised God in prayer and those who prayed (positively) with confidence. He said, "Ask with true faith and it will be done for you... " Faith is a positive, confident trust or belief that what you are asking God for will be answered in the most loving, positive, life-giving, awesome way possible. When you pray positively with confidence you are re-wiring any negative places in your brain and in your heart to be more similar to the Holy Spirit and life-giving. Love is positive. Even the Love of Jesus Crucified was Positive. People have asked me why I am so in love with Jesus' suffering -shouldn't I be more positive? Can you imagine doing what Jesus did for us and having the world blow it over or ignore it? I don't like to think about how cruel everyone was to Him -but I like to be with His Heart even in the midst of such cruelty because His positivity and healing and goodness was that much stronger there. Jesus' Response to human and demonic torture and death was incredible. The Resurrection was simply our seeing that conquering of God's Love and Light that was already happening hiddenly deep in the crevices of the Sacred Heart on the Cross.

I guess this is enough for today (especially since only a few read this -but only a few shepherds and kings came to see baby Jesus and only a few women were faithful witnesses under the Cross and sometimes its the best things that will bear the greatest fruit when visited by 'only a few' -God's ways are simply not our own.) I'll leave off here with this thought for today -speak and Pray Positively. Pray with Confidence even when its a fight and you feel you have none. Just move the will (like a muscle that gets tired)... and pray thanking God for something, praising Him and in such a way that you believe He can and will answer you (even if your belief has been crushed to the size of a mustard seed -it can still move a mountain.) Even if you need to describe a negative situation, do it with that air of trust that God is Good and has a plan out of it.

Please, Come Holy Spirit -and teach us to pray confidently and positively.
And thank you for Your Love.
Amen.


No comments: