Monday, August 31, 2020

Mary Kloska Interviews Canadian Sculptor Timothy Schmaltz About His Work


This is really worth your watch!
Last night I was able to speak with Timothy Schmaltz again for an hour and a half. He spoke about the beginnings of his work and explained about the spiritual aspect of being a sculptor. He tells about the Canadian Bishops petitioning for his statue (my favorite) called 'A Quiet Moment' -where you see St. Joseph holding Our Lady holding Baby Jesus -to be given to Pope John Paul II who wanted it for a Vatican chapel. He also explains much about my second favorite -his Padre Pio in the Confessional work -which he actually did in total solitude in his studio in China.
We accidentally never got to the part about his huge Dante project (he's doing it with my publisher). He is making sculptures for all of the Cantos that are being published with a new translation. I love Dante, but he's always been a hard read for me. This translation is super! And Timothy's sculptures that illustrate each one are incredible. They eventually will be bronze casted and they are looking for a venue in Italy where he can set them up permanently, but that is after he tours the US with them. They need donors for this project, but anything extra or that they make from it he has arranged to have donated to the Vatican charity with migrants. For his Dante work, see here:
https://enroutebooksandmedia.com/helpdantehelpitaly/
I hope you enjoy this interview as much as I did!


No comments: