Saturday, July 21, 2018

To Be Known by God...

"If anyone loves God, He is known by God." (1 Corinthians 8:3)

"Now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God..." (Galatians 4:9)

"Now I know in part; then (in heaven) I shall know fully, even as I am fully known." (1 Corinthians 13:12)

I can't tell you the peace and security it gives to me to know that I am known by God. Its only something I reflect on when I encounter the opposite in life -a situation of misunderstanding or a person who no matter what I say just doesn't get me. I've written about this before, and my priest friend Fr. Dariusz's comment to me in Russia that only people who love me understand me. But I think this is true not just for me, but in relationships in general. And in light of this, how natural for God to completely know me because He completely loves me. And when we plug into God's knowledge and love of a person, He allows us to partake of this life-giving, freeing, respectful, grace-filled relationship that He has with whoever that person is.

Now, all knowledge does not come from love. Sapiential knowledge does -sapiential relates to wisdom and the biblical explanation of wisdom is 'a listening heart'... a heart in a love relationship with God who listens in Love and receives a knowledge of Love. This isn't fact knowledge like satan knows about us (and uses against us). Its a knowledge of our lives and persons based in Love and whose purpose is to grow us towards a love relationship with God and each other. Simple reflections like this give me peace... because this was God's original plan for humanity (to relate in holy knowledge and Love) and this is what He redeemed... this is what He wants for us to share in with Him: a knowledge and Love of Him and each other based in Love that gives off Love. We are supposed to 'smell' to the world like Love. Its an incredible image.

The first phrase I always learn in a new language is 'I don't know.' When I'm in a new culture working with a new language more often than not I'm just not going to know what is going on or what people are saying to me (until I get a better grasp on their language). At Notre Dame my Italian class would laugh at my repeated 'Non lo so' -and in Poland and Russia people got used to 'Sister Mary' or 'Aunt Mary' saying 'Nie wiem' or 'Я не знаю.' So often I just don't know the answer to things. My comfort in life comes in knowing that God knows everything and I know God. By the transitive principle, I have nothing to worry about because my God, my Father in heaven who knows me in Love (meaning He knows what is best for me and desires that and is capable of making it happen) knows the answer to pretty much any and every predicament I find myself in in life. There is a powerful covering of Love I feel overshadow me when I can sit with my sweet Jesus in the Eucharist and know that I am known by Him, loved by Him, protected by Him, defended by Him (even if others choose to ignore His defense)... I'm in His arms and care. And each time people selfishly try to usurp Him, He knocks them away and takes me back. Thank You, Jesus. Name and Claim me... because only with You (or with those who are truly with You) am I actually safe and loved in this dangerous and so often evil world. Jesus, we trust in You.


Fiat. +

No comments: