Sunday, July 29, 2018

The Power of Naming People


Words have power. If Jesus was the Word made Flesh and He had creative power (and God the Father used words to create, like saying, 'Fiat Lux' and there was light, etc.,) this is somehow mysteriously reflected in our relationship with words (made in the image and likeness of the Trinity). And we need to be careful with this. 

Words create and give life when they are positive and they destroy when they are negative. Yesterday I encountered some nephews and nieces who are always positive and loving to me (even a few teenage ones who usually don't have much to say to me) and they all were really loving -it gave me life. Later in the evening I heard an adult ripping me to pieces in the next room -it didn't matter so much that what he was saying was not true, instead it was like being shot repeatedly or ripped apart by the negative, unkind, unloving attitude. I eventually had to just leave the event. 

People become often what they are called -or at the very least they are affected by it. When we were little my Mom would sing, 'Mary is a good little girl' over and over and I believe it contributed to my being good. The blessing of a parent is powerful (just as the negativity or cursing of a parent is -so be careful what you say!)

I was reading a book this week that went very in depth about the power of words and particularly 'naming people' -and how the author had experimented on a large level in the effect of naming people good and their reaction of becoming good. When we praise God for people and name them (even behind their backs) in a positive light they mysteriously have extra grace to be a blessing in our lives. I could write a super long post on this, but instead I'll leave it simple: only say good, positive, kind things about others. We have enough negativity in the world. And if someone is being difficult, find something praiseworthy in them and focus on that. Truly what if the world only spoke blessings about each other... like Ephesians says, 'Speaking in songs and hymns and psalms to each other'... wouldn't it be a better place?


No comments: