Friday, September 14, 2018

The Cross is my anchor...

One day many years ago I was at a prayer meeting with Fr. Flanagan (the founder of SOLT) and he asked us to reflect on how we carry our crosses. When it came my turn to share I said, ‘I don’t feel like I carry my cross- I think that the cross carries me!’ More recently I had a similar thought- I noticed how when life is hardest and I feel thrown around the waves of life, clinging to Jesus’ Cross tends to be my reaction and His Cross becomes like my life jacket and my anchor in the storm. It is by placing the Calverized parts of my life with His suffering that I find the fruits of the Holy Spirit in my suffering. A saint once said (I think it was St. Francis) that the greatest gift of the Holy Spirit is union with Jesus crucified. The Cross of Jesus is truly the fountain of all our heart’s desire and need for happiness.

No comments: